Our Little Owl nestbox was designed by owl enthusiast Bob Sheppard. Suitable for both buildings and trees, our handmade, ‘built to last’ nestboxes use FSC-approved pressure treated plywood with all-weather sealant and a thick torch-on roofing felt.
Opening ‘inspection hatch’ allows easy access for cleaning. The owl box should be cleared out during autumn or winter, after 2 or 3 years of occupation.
The Nestbox hanging kit includes two handmade hangers cut from 12 mm recycled plastic Stokbord (already fitted to the box), full instructions, screws and nails. Using this kit involves screwing and nailing into a tree, wall or beam which is safer than using straps or ropes. If possible, choose a dead tree.
Little Owl box Instructions
The Little Owl nestbox should be erected horizontally a minimum of 3 metres (10 feet) above the ground on a wall top, beam or tree branch so that Little Owl owlets can walk in and out prior to fledging. Little Owls seem to prefer nestboxes situated in open-sided or open-fronted buildings rather than in enclosed places. A thin layer of untreated wood shavings or bark can be provided as a floor covering.
How to put up a nestbox on a tree. Whilst these photo instructions are for a Barn Owl nest box, the method is largely the same.
- Owl identification (including Little Owl calls).
- Little Owl fledgling identification and ageing.
- More about Little Owl nestboxes.
- Courier is FedEx.
- Standard delivery charges to England, Wales and Scotland (excluding Highlands & Islands).
- Please call to discuss delivery to Isle of Wight and Scottish Highlands & Islands before placing your order. These locations incur higher courier fees, which must be paid before dispatch.
- We regret we do not send to Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, Isles of Scilly or outside of the UK.
- Please note that if you live locally, you are welcome to collect your nestbox from our barn to save on Postage & Packaging. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire about this.
- We use as little packing material as possible to minimise our environmental impact. This means your nestbox will likely be visible when delivered.
- For nestbox orders, please do not accept any nestbox that has been damaged by the courier in transit and insist it be returned to Barn Owl Trust.
All profits help Barn Owl conservation – ‘Making a difference’.