Our ‘built to last’ Tawny Owl box is based on the British Trust for Ornithology upright design.
The Nestbox hanging kit includes three handmade hangers cut from 12 mm recycled plastic Stokbord (already fitted to the box), full instructions, screws and nails. Using this kit involves screwing and nailing into the tree. If possible, please choose a dead tree.
Siting your Tawny Owl Nest Box
Tawny Owls are the most common British Owl – they make the familiar ‘twit twoo’ call. As a woodland species, they are present virtually everywhere there are mature trees; even in cities and wooded gardens. Tawny Owls usually nest in March, with eggs hatching in April and owlets leaving the nest in May.
Nest boxes need to be sited in one of the most mature trees available, preferably among trees or woodland – rather than on the fringes. Tawny owl boxes can be particularly helpful in areas where there is a shortage of very mature trees.
Fix your nestbox securely to a large tree as shown here. In a remote undisturbed area, the box can be placed as low as 3 metres (10 feet) above the ground. In more populated areas or places where vandalism may occur, the box should be secured 3.7 metres (12 feet) or higher. Try to face the box entrance away from the prevailing wind (this generally means avoiding the west or south-west).
You are responsible for your own safety – please assess the risks and be careful!
More information on Tawny Owl nesting boxes.
- Courier is FedEx.
- Standard delivery charges to England, Scotland (excluding Highlands & Islands) and Wales.
- Please call to discuss delivery to Isle of Wight and Scottish Highlands & Islands before placing your order. These locations incur higher courier fees, which must be paid before dispatch.
- We regret we do not deliver to Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, Isles of Scilly or outside of the UK.
- Please note that if you live locally, you are welcome to collect your nestbox from our barn to save on Postage & Packaging. Please email email@example.com to enquire about this.
- We use as little packing material as possible to minimise our environmental impact. This means your nestbox will likely be visible when delivered.
- For nestbox orders, please do not accept any nestbox that has been damaged by the courier in transit and insist it be returned to Barn Owl Trust.
All profits go to help our work in owl conservation – ‘Making a difference‘.