Founded in 1988, the Barn Owl Trust is a small national charity working very hard to conserve one of the most beautiful birds on Earth. Anyone who has ever watched a wild Barn Owl hunting at dusk has surely been touched by the experience. Sadly, these magical birds have become increasingly rare – and the reasons are all man-made. Lack of food due to intensive farming, the loss of roost and nest sites, road mortality and rat poison, are the main factors to blame.
Happily, there is a great deal that can be done to help wild Barn Owls, and the environment they depend on. Because they are a bird of prey, at the top of the food chain, looking after our Barn Owls means that many other small creatures and plants benefit as well, helping to create sustainable biodiverstity. Barn Owl friendly land management and the provision of safe nestboxes are the two most important ways to encourage Barn Owls, but everyone can help by learning about Barn Owls and supporting the Barn Owl Trust!
Watch a short film about our work and aims.
We are a small team of professional staff and volunteers, a grass-roots, non-profit organisation, based on the edge of Dartmoor in Devon. If you would like to visit us, please book on one of our events, and discover our wonderful wildlife haven managed for Barn Owls. (Please note, we are not otherwise open to the public.)
With nearly 30 years experience in the field, we aim to be the experts on all aspects of UK Barn Owl conservation and pride ourselves on the sheer amount of practical conservation work we do.
- Make and erect Barn Owl nest boxes.
- Create ideal Barn Owl habitats.
- Answer thousands of enquiries every year, working with farmers, land
owners, educators and wildlife enthusiasts across the UK and beyond.
- Publish the Barn Owl Conservation Handbook.
- Provide quality care for casualty owls.
- Undertake innovative research.
- Offer thought provoking environmental educational work.
- Provide specialist training for professionals.
- Offer practical guidance for developers and planners.
- Barn Owl Trust campaigns.
- Barn Owl Trust projects.