A tall screen of trees or shrubs, at least 2m high, can make all the difference to local Barn Owl numbers. Hunting Barn Owls are forced to fly higher and avoid the traffic.
- Barn Owl Hazards: Major roads
- Barn Owl road deaths – photo gallery.
- Unscreened major roads kill Barn Owls
- Chapter 7 of the Barn Owl Conservation Handbook is the definitive guide to this subject and covers mitigation measures.
- Our report ‘Barn Owls and Major Roads, results and recommendations from a 15-year research project‘ provides evidence of the circumstances and importance of Barn Owl deaths on major roads in the UK.
Click on a photo to scroll through the gallery. Click on the black background or press esc to return to this page.