Fast roads are a major hazard for low flying Barn Owls, accounting for around 4,000 deaths a year. These stark photos bring home a gruesome reality that could be prevented by simple hedge screening.
- Barn Owl Hazards: Major roads
- Chapter 7 of the Barn Owl Conservation Handbook covers mitigation measures.
- Our report ‘Barn Owls and Major Roads, results and recommendations from a 15-year research project‘ provides evidence of the circumstances and importance of Barn Owl deaths on major roads in the UK.
- Unscreened major roads kill Barn Owls – photo gallery.
- Preventing owl road deaths by screening major roads – photo gallery.
Click on a photo to scroll through the gallery. Click on the black background or press esc to return to this page.