Visit ‘Barn Owl Heaven’ – The Lennon Legacy Project (LLP) – a wild-life haven managed for Barn Owls on the edge of Dartmoor
A haven for wildlife, with open grassland and woodland alongside the River Ashburn, has been created by the Barn Owl Trust, transforming 26 acres of intensively grazed pasture into ‘Barn Owl Heaven’. This unique nature reserve is not open to the public and all walks are guided by Barn Owl Trust staff.
Re-creating hedge banks, planting an orchard, building a wildlife tower and stone banks, plus the addition of two wildlife ponds has increased the biodiversity of this beautiful landscape which is blessed with great views.
Managing the land for Barn Owls has created wonderful habitat for a wealth of plants and flowers, insects, especially butterflies such as the Marbled White, birds such as Kingfishers and Swifts, and a host of animals such as Roe Deer, Weasels and Badgers.
Be inspired by the work of the Barn Owl Trust:
- Join us through the seasons for gentle strolls along mown grassy paths.
- A boardwalk and wooden bridges built by volunteers allow easy access through shady woodland along the riverside.
- Barn Owl Trust Conservation Officers will be on hand to share their knowledge and help spot and interpret the fascinating signs of wild-life.
- Described by visitors as ‘inspirational’, a visit to the Lennon Legacy Project is a chance to see practical wildlife conservation work at first hand.
- Refreshments: Tea, coffee, squash and biscuits – are provided at each event in our beautiful wood-lined ‘Norman Alderson’ Meeting Room.
- Devon cream teas and homemade cakes are available at some events.
- Seasonal Walks: Short gentle walks, but the terrain is steep and uneven in places. Suitable for able bodied folk of all ages. Sensible footwear is advised. Well behaved dogs on leads are welcome at most events.
In the event of bad weather the walk may be replaced with the Lennon Legacy Project talk and slideshow.
Please note that the terrain is steep and uneven in places. Please ensure you wear sturdy footwear.
Events happen throughout the year. Check our Events Diary to find out what’s on and when.